About the transformation of Manukau
Imagine living in Manukau in 2040…
- There are more affordable homes and people have greater housing choice in new and revitalised neighbourhoods.
- People seeking playtime or downtime flock to a revamped Hayman Park and Manukau Plaza and the surrounding shops and eateries.
- Locals enjoy a healthy Puhinui Stream flowing through neighbourhoods from the botanic gardens to the harbour.
- There’s a hub of learning, innovation and community enterprise, and a new ‘metro’ junior school for local residents.
- Workers have more job opportunities in a diverse local employment scene thanks to new commercial developments.
- People love striding or strolling through the vibrant and interesting town centre streets.
- Transport connections work better for locals with a new rapid bus route between Botany and the airport via central Manukau.
- Increasingly, more low-rise buildings are replaced by new mixed-use developments, bringing more people into the town centre community.
From imagination to reality, we’re leading the transformation of Manukau over the next 20-plus years. It’s an ambitious programme of change designed to cater for a growth in population from 6000 to 20,000.
We’re working closely with Manukau communities, as it’s the involvement of local people that will lead Manukau to its true transformation as the thriving heart of the south.